We proudly serve the local Westchester County communities of New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison, Rye, Port Chester, Mount Vernon, Scarsdale, White Plains and Yonkers as well as the Bronx and NYC metro area. We welcome kids and adults of all ages and levels of martial arts experience. We offer unparalleled traditional shotokan karate, martial arts and self defense training classes.

501 EAST BOSTON POST ROAD, MAMARONECK NY, 10543 (between Chase Bank and Dunkin Donuts)

No Excuses- No Limits




First of all a happy Independence Day to all our readers in the U.S. and a happy Canada Day this past week for our readers in Canada.

Speaking of Canada, I would like to take an opportunity to introduce you to another fellow Canadian- Baxter Humby.  Given my busy schedule I do not always have time to physically train at the dojo so I try to supplement my training with books articles, programs and other martial arts information where I can.  Lately I have been watching World Championship Kickboxing (WCK) on satellite when the family is asleep.  I'll watch MMA as well, but enjoy watching WCK as the fighting style more closely resembles what I am used to when I train.  WCK is really Muay-Thai rules and most fighters come from this background.  I digress.

So there I am on my couch watching a late night WCK program when I see a one-armed fighter come on TV.  This of course intrigued me not only to watch him fight, but to also find out a little more about who he was.

Baxter Humby is a Canadian kickboxer known as "The One Armed Bandit" due to his missing right hand, which was amputated below the elbow after it became entangled with the umbilical cord at birth.  Baxter is the current IMTC (International Muay Thai Council) World Super Welterweight Champion.  He holds a number of title belts including WBC Super Welterweight National Champion (2010), IKKC USA Kickboxiing Champion, IMTC World Middleweight Champion and IKBA International Kickboxing Champion.

His interest in sports led him to take up running at age 11 and martial arts at age 17.  He ran for the Canadian National Track Team (Paralympics) in Barcelona in 1992 and in Berlin in 1994.  He won the Canadian Super Welterweight Kickboxing Championship in 1996, and afterwards, in 1997, moved to California to pursue a professional kickboxing career.

Incredible story in my opinion.  Here is a guy who did not place any limits on himself as to what he "could" or "could not" do.  What makes this even more interesting to me is he did this I am sure in the face of overt or subtle messages his friends, family and/or society in general that may have told him were his "abilities".  I do not claim to know him, but all people in some way shape or form face this pressure, so I can only assume he faced it as well.  In the fight I watched he fought another fighter from China and was a close fight but lost in a split decision.  What also impressed me about him was the way in which he graciously lost the fight in how he handled himself.  No ego, no drama, no selfish behavior like I just recently watched a player on the Italian team who lost the Euro final.  He genuinely congratulated the other fighter and left the ring with dignity.  He represented the true spirit of the martial arts (and sport competition) in my opinion.

Sometimes adults I come in contact with socially, when they hear I train in martial arts and co-own a dojo, say something to the effect of " I would love to train but I am too old" or "I am too busy" or "I trained when I was younger but could not do that now" or "I need to get in better shape before I start".  Let me say up front that I am not criticizing them but I believe they are misguided in their rationale.  If you really do not want to train that is fine- the martial arts are not for everyone.  However the issue is not one of age or ability, but rather of motivation.  Anyone can do anything if they really want it and set their mind to doing it- like Baxter Humby.

Of course this concept is equally applicable outside the dojo.  What limits do we place on ourselves?  What excuses do we generate to validate them?  What are the recordings in our head we keep playing over and over that do not serve our highest good?  What do we really want from life and what are we prepared to do to make it happen?

So let's all resolve to live by the motto of "No Excuses- No Limits" today and look for role models like Baxter as an inspiration that we can do anything we truly want to do, if we set our hearts and minds to it.



Since 1988, Way Of Life Shotokan Karate has been committed to teaching traditional karate and values for a modern world. Under the leadership of Norman Smith Sensei, Way Of Life Shotokan Karate instructs hundreds of students at our various locations from beginner to advanced levels of all ages that come from across the New York City metro area. Our unique way of combining martial arts training, etiquette and philosophy with the modern concepts of fitness, self-defense and competition is unparalleled. We ensure your training is vigorous, while maintaining a safe and fun learning environment that encourages students to reach their fullest potential.

Way Of Life Shotokan Karate Do martial arts school is now offically open at 501 East Boston Post Road, Mamaroneck NY, 10543 serving the local Westchester County communities of New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison, Rye, Port Chester, Mount Vernon, Scarsdale, White Plains and Yonkers as well as the Bronx and NYC metro area.



Blogger Template Designed by SpiceUpYourBlog & Way2Blogging