We proudly serve the local Westchester County communities of New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison, Rye, Port Chester, Mount Vernon, Scarsdale, White Plains and Yonkers as well as the Bronx and NYC metro area. We welcome kids and adults of all ages and levels of martial arts experience. We offer unparalleled traditional shotokan karate, martial arts and self defense training classes.

501 EAST BOSTON POST ROAD, MAMARONECK NY, 10543 (between Chase Bank and Dunkin Donuts)

Karate From a Female Perspective


At Way of Life Shotokan Karate-Do we encourage our students to write articles for our blog.  The first installment is from Rita Kim (brown belt) and we thank her for her submission "Karate From a Female Perspective"- By Rita Kim

The benefits of practicing Karate, or any martial art, are invaluable. Every practitioner has their own interpretation of the purpose and benefits of Karate; for me Karate is an art. I’m not good with a paint brush or any musical instrument, but put me in a gi, I am an artist J

A woman comes across many obstacles in her pursuit for martial arts and it starts with society. There is a sense that Karate is not a feminine sport and therefore should not be practiced. For me that’s far from the truth. A spectator once commented to me that if they just met me (in my red pumps) they would’ve never guessed I was a martial artist.

My friends and family have always supported and encouraged me in my passion for Karate and even said it fits my personality very well. Having practiced Karate since I was 12 years old has shaped me into the person I am today: confident, strong (stubborn at timesJ), respectful, friendly and overall a bubbly person.
Upon entering the dojo, I am greeted by new friends ready to share their passion for Karate with the same enthusiasm that I have. I feel like I belong and the thirst for learning more and being the best that I can be only grows every time. No other sport could replace that.

While self-control and self-defense are important qualities learned through martial arts, one also develops endurance, quickness, strength, muscle toning, and self-confidence. If you can see past the obstacles, I highly recommend you give Karate a try. If you already practice, then you know where I’m coming from. Osu!

By Rita Kim 
www.globallivingrealty.com

Since 1988, Way Of Life Shotokan Karate has been committed to teaching traditional karate and values for a modern world. Under the leadership of Norman Smith Sensei, Way Of Life Shotokan Karate instructs hundreds of students at our various locations from beginner to advanced levels of all ages that come from across the New York City metro area. Our unique way of combining martial arts training, etiquette and philosophy with the modern concepts of fitness, self-defense and competition is unparalleled. We ensure your training is vigorous, while maintaining a safe and fun learning environment that encourages students to reach their fullest potential.

Way Of Life Shotokan Karate Do martial arts school is now offically open at 501 East Boston Post Road, Mamaroneck NY, 10543 serving the local Westchester County communities of New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, Harrison, Rye, Port Chester, Mount Vernon, Scarsdale, White Plains and Yonkers as well as the Bronx and NYC metro area.

Blogger Template Designed by SpiceUpYourBlog & Way2Blogging